Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Sunday Lunch

     Several years ago, I decided to make a big deal about Sunday lunch after church.  Our family doesn't get to eat dinner together every night like we did when the children were younger and all at home. With everyone working different shifts and going to school, it just isn't feasible. Sunday lunch is the one time of the week when most of us can be present. My hope is that as my children get married and have children of their own, this will be a dependable time for them to come visit. 

    I try to make this meal the most special one of the week. I plan the meal ahead of time, keeping an eye out all the time for interesting Sunday lunch recipes. I especially love Bell's Best cookbooks, church cookbooks, and Southern Plate.  I want a home-cooked meal including dessert. This week my daughter requested herbed chicken. I found a delicious recipe on Downshiftology. I also cooked corn (one can of cream style corn plus one can of whole kernel), and butter peas. For dessert, I made my grandmother's lemon ice box pie (recipe below). 

    My daughter and I set the table with a nice tablecloth and dishes. When everyone gets to the table, we join hands and one of my sons or my husband will say the blessing before eating. We have really enjoyed this and look forward to it all week. 


Grandmother's Lemon Ice Box Pie

Ingredients: 

Graham cracker pie crust
8 oz. Philadelphia cream cheese
Eagle Brand milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 oz. Cool Whip

Mix the cream cheese, Eagle Brand milk, and lemon juice until smooth. Gently stir in the cool whip and pour into pie crust. Refrigerate overnight for the best flavor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Sundays

 While getting ready for church this morning, I was thinking about the things I wish I had learned while my children were young (or before)....